Obama Admin. “Considering” Building a Death Star
From The Daily Mail:
The online petition, which calls for the U.S. government to ‘secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016′ now has more than 27,000 signatures.
First seen in the sci-fi classic Star Wars, the Death Star is a spherical, moon-sized space station that is capable of destroying entire planets with a single energy beam blast.
The petition on the White House’s We The People website for the U.S. to build its own Death Star was started by a Colorado man identified only as John D.
A statement reads: ‘By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense.’
The We The People website claims that any petition which attracts 25,000 signatures within 30 days will be guaranteed as assessment by White House staff.
‘If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response,’ it says.
Students from Lehigh University of Pennsylvania in February calculated that, in today’s economy, it would cost $852 quadrillion to build a 140m diameter Death Star.
At current production rates, it would take 833,315 years to mine enough steel to begin work on such a weapon, they estimated.
- Petition posted to White House website seeks Death Star construction (sott.net)
- Internet Petitions White House to Build a Death Star (techninety.me)
- Will Obama build a Death Star next? (wnd.com)
- Of Course There’s an Official White House Petition That Wants the US to Build a Death Star By 2016 (gizmodo.co.uk)
- On the implausibility of the Death Star’s trash compactor… (mcsweeneys.net)