The conservative circular firing squad
While many are still recovering from the defeat of Republican candidate Mitt Romney in the past election, I hear from far too many conservatives who continue to point fingers at a campaign that was ultimately defeated by the Barack Obama machine. I certainly understand the frustration, even feeling it myself, but what good can come from continuing the negativity? Should we not be lifting each other up and preparing for the next round of midterms in 2014?
This past week I had the president of the National Rifle Association, David Keene, on my program — The Don Smith Show. After the booking was confirmed, I took to my social networking sites to let people know.
In the posts, I asked people to reply with questions that they would like to have asked. Although many responded with thoughtful questions, there was a larger group that merely expressed a level of anger with the NRA that I found somewhat surprising. The general theme seemed to be that the largest and most effective organization devoted to protecting our second amendment rights was failing to provide a sensible solution to solving future tragedies like what happened in Newtown.
When did it become the NRA’s job to solve societal problems? I don’t believe it is, and therefore I refused to make a scapegoat out of their president on my show this past Saturday.
Am I suggesting that we shouldn’t debate issues, or that we can’t express anger when we feel let down by the people we are counting on to deliver a strong conservative message? Of course not, but we really need to realize that anger and division will only lead to our ultimate demise.
This past Monday, I have the honor of appearing on The Brenner Brief radio show with Sara Marie Brenner to show the alternative to the current mindset that has been apparent to me amongst many on the right. Instead of arguing and competing with each other, we all need to pull together in these difficult times.
In his last public speech in 1799, Patrick Henry said “Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.”
The message is clear, and the decision is ours. Do we continue with the circular firing squad, or do we stand united?
Sign up for The Brenner Brief newsletter! Free subscription; unsubscribe any time. Connect with conservative, alternative media — we are “rendering the mainstream media useless” at TheBrennerBrief.com!
- What the GOP must do to stop Obama’s tyranny in the making (thebrennerbrief.com)
- If Obama cares about gun violence, why the hypocrisy with urban crime? (thebrennerbrief.com)
- NRA Reclaims Its Position As The Left’s Bogeyman (buzzfeed.com)
- Poll: NRA more popular than Obama (conservativeread.com)
- 10 things to know for Friday (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Hypocrisy Perfected – NRA Gets Death Threats, Blames Obama (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Learn to love the deficit: Obamanomics (thebrennerbrief.com)
- The Fiscal Cliff Losers: Conservatives, the Tea Party, and the GOP (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Why Hobby Lobby’s defiance matters: the Nazis, Sirius/XM and Obama (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Will it take a Constitutional crisis? (thebrennerbrief.com)