Four paths on the roadmap to profitable growth
John Mariotti is the author of the new book, “Roadmap to Profitable Growth.” He will be a guest on The Brenner Brief Radio Show on Feb. 25. Mariotti is the former president of Huffy Bicycles and Rubbermaid Office Products Group. This is the fourth post of a five-part series, and this posting is an excerpt from the new book.
The four paths on the roadmap lead to an intersection — one where you can find profitable growth. These paths involve the choices everyone must make, just like alternative routes on a map.
1) What is your goal, or target market, your strategic direction? How should you allocate scarce resources and very importantly (often ignored)?
2) What has worked for you in the past, and why?
3) Are there big market opportunities? What are they?
4) Can you find incremental markets where a little leverage will provide a large return?
Do not confuse the setting of goals and objectives as making strategy. It isn’t that at all. Goals and objectives tell you how well or how poorly you are doing. You achieve goals and objectives as a result of strategies and tactics that you executed well.
Once your customer owns the decision, you own customer preference, and competitors face a big uphill battle to unseat you.
Incorporate these advantages as you develop new products or services, and you are on your way to finding profitable growth—at the Intersection of the four paths.
Sign up for The Brenner Brief newsletter! Free subscription; unsubscribe any time. Connect with conservative, alternative media — we are “rendering the mainstream media useless” at TheBrennerBrief.com!
- What do you want to sell to whom, and why? (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Why profitable growth is critical to the U.S. economy (thebrennerbrief.com)
- What Matters Most? (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Focus is critical, prioritization is difficult (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Are you growing, or dying? (thebrennerbrief.com)
- How Obama’s policies hurt those he claims to want to protect (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Getting buy-in for your roadmap (onproductmanagement.net)
- 7 Essential Elements to Small Business Growth (ducttapemarketing.com)